- General Operating Fund
- Capital Plan budget
- Three Utility Funds
- Waste Water
- Solid Waste.
- General Government
- Protective Services
- Transportation & Transit
- Recreation Parks & Culture
- Economic & Community Development
- Public Health & Cemetery
- Waste Water
- Solid Waste
- Reserves (savings)
- Fees for services such as recreation user fees, development permit fees, dog licences and fines such as parking tickets, plus utility fees such as landfill tipping fees.
- Development Cost Charges (DCCs)
- Community Amenity Contributions (CACs)
- Investment revenue
- Responsible spending to meet the needs of the community today and plan for future needs;
- Debt management;
- Contribution to reserves;
- Achieving stable tax rates by phasing in future known increases over multiple years.
What does the budget consist of?
The budget is consists of the following:
What is the General Operating Fund?
The General Operating Fund is the spending that will be undertaken by all municipal departments throughout the year. It also includes the anticipated revenue the District will receive each year.
The District’s General Operating Fund budget breaks down into the following areas:
The General Operating Fund also addresses Debt Servicing as well as a contribution to the annual Capital Program.
What is the Capital Plan?
The Capital Plan includes the costs that fall outside of the District's day-to-day operations.
The Capital Plan outlines where the District will invest for the long-term. This includes investments in infrastructure, equipment and facilities upgrades.
What are Utility Funds?
The District’s provides three Utilities:
Each of these are funded by utilities and landfill fees, which are collected separately from property taxes.
Where does the money in the budget come from?
A variety of revenue streams fund the budget.
Property taxes funded close to 40% of the total budget in 2023, which is shared among the various tax classes such as: residential, business, industrial etc.
Other sources of revenue include:
How is the budget created?
Council’s strategic plan paves the way for budgets to be developed. We also follow financial principles to ensure we are always planning for the future. Our financial principles focus on: